You need a provisional category A-license, as part of a provisional license. This can be applied for via This provisional license costs £50 and will be with you for life, updating every time you either; pass another vehicle category, update your photo/address or have to produce your documents. The process takes around two weeks to complete and then you will receive your provisional license through the post.

Provisional License

You must complete a CBT before you are able to ride any moped, scooter or motorcycle on the road. This will give you the basic knowledge and understanding of how a motorcycle works, a full understanding of road safety awareness, road signs and practical training on your first scooter/motorcycle. The test takes one full day with most starting from 9am 'till 5pm. A CBT costs around £80 - £100 and is valid for two years which on expiration needs to be retaken. Visit to find your nearest centre.

Compulsory Basic Training

Being 21 years of age and over, you are entitled to ride a up to a 125CC on completion of a CBT if you wish to go bigger, you must take a direct access course. If you passed your full driving license before February 2001, you are entitled to ride a 50CC moped, scooter or motorcycle. No CBT is required but if you wish to ride a 125CC or above, a CBT, Theory and Practical tests are applicable.


Get your insurance now. Apply direct for the cheapest prices.



Remember... if you use the reference number 334812  then you will get an extra £10 voucher to spend on clothing or accessories in store.


If you wish to break free from the 125CC limit then you must complete both theory and practical tests. You must pass a motorcycle theory test before taking any practical motorcycle test, even if you have a full car license. But if you have passed a two part moped test or a lower category motorcycle test since 1st of July, 1996 you need not take the theory test. The Theory Test Pass Certificate is valid for 2 years. You can book your test via this link:

Theory test